The Department of Theatre has its home in Murphy Hall. Built in 1957, the building is named for Chancellor Franklin Murphy (1951-60). Murphy Hall houses the theatre classrooms, rehearsal studios, costume and set laboratories,box office, and theatres.
The University Theatre, the producing arm of the Department of Theatre, presents a year-round program of plays and musicals in the main stage Crafton-Preyer Theatre (capacity 1,130). The theatre is named for Jesse Allen Crafton (1890-1966), founder of the Department of Speech and Drama, and for Carl Adolph Preyer (1863-1947), pianist/composer and faculty member for 56 years.
In addition to our main stage, faculty and students present a steady steam of smaller projects in the William Inge Memorial Theatre (capacity 80-120). This “Black Box” theatre is named for the award-winning playwright William Inge (1913-73), 1935 theatre graduate and author of Picnic, Splendor in the Grass, Come Back Little Sheba, and Bus Stop.