Involvement in theatre production is central to all our theatre degrees. Each year, the Department of Theatre produces 8-10 fully-staged productions in the University Theatre, ranging from drama, comedy, musical, and opera.
- As part of their degree, theatre students are involved onstage and backstage. They receive credit through practicum courses (THR 101, 201, 301, and 401). See the Theatre Practicum Syllabus (PDF).
- The department provides dozens of opportunities each year for student actors, designers, stage managers, directors or dramaturgs.
- Because we believe every theatre student should understand the technical stage arts, our students are required to gain experience as stage crew members in lighting, costume, or sets.
- In addition to University Theatre production, students are provided with such opportunities as the Interactive Theatre Troupe, student play-reading events, 10-minute play projects, student films, class scene public presentations, and other related activities.
- The Department of Theatre is the home of Kansas Repertory Theatre. Students compete for paid positions in this summer program which presents one or two plays each summer for the KU and Lawrence communities.
Visit the University Theatre website for the latest productions and audition announcements. For student opportunities, production schedules, crew policies and other essential information about working in production, visit Inside the University Theatre.